English is a very important subject in the curriculum. It involves the four communication skills- listening, speaking, reading, and writing which are necessary to enable us to communicate effectively .to be able to express our thoughts and our feelings, we need to speak and write them on the printed page In writing we need to be accurate in our spelling.
Some causes of pupils inability to spell words are, they have inadequate vocabulary in English and lack of reading comprehension skills.
To improve the spelling ability of pupils among in the higher grades here are the suggested activities.
1. Teaching words in spelling by using the Home Method wherein set of ten words were taught every week.
2. Providing supplementary reading books to pupils to be read at home.
3. Writing paragraphs and compositions in their informal theme and formal theme notebooks.
4. Put- up a mini- learning resource corner inside the classroom, it will encourage the pupils to read the books, magazines during their free time.
5. Seek the help of parents to supervise and provide for their children”s reading activities.
By: MS. SHIRLEY M. CUEVAS | Master Teacher I- Luz Elem. School