The following suggested Strategies and Approaches can help a teacher to facilitate learning in order to cater the needs of every learners.
1. Simulation games – offer a model of some situations ( reality ) and thus allow students to learn about that situation variously through competition cooperation, emphaty, research skills, critical thinking and decision making.
2. Advance organizer – designed to increase the efficiency of a student’s information processing capabilities and relate bodis of information by presenting introductory materials before the learning task and at higher level of abstraction and inclusiveness than the task itself.
3. Cloze – involves deleting specific words ( parts of words ) from a sentence extract or story. Students are then required to fill the gap with a word that fits syntactically and semantically. The value of cloze is that it can require students to use all their reading strategies to complete the text.
4. Scanning – helps the students to search for the specific information he wishes to get from the material such as finding the meaning of a word in a dictionary, finding statistic information in tables, charts or graphs and finding the answers to certain questions from a text.
5. Speed reading – is often classified as a study skill. It is used in the following instances:
a. Preview – to find out if the work/ selection contains the ideas you used
b. Overview – to go over a selection or book to check on what parts will contain the ides you need.
c. Review – to go over a selection or book you have already read to help you remember more clearly important ideas.
d. Skimming – to go over a selection fast to fit the main idea
e. Scanning – to go over an article or selection fast to get specific facts or details.
By: Dennis V. Navarro, Teacher II Orion Elementary School